[Mongrel] win32 service rocks!

Luis Lavena luislavena at gmail.com
Wed Feb 22 12:19:05 EST 2006

Hehehe, sounds good for me

> Luis,
>
> I'm sitting here playing with the win32 and it is so damn hot.  You're going
> to be a famous man with the win32 people.  I think we should release even if
> it doesn't have the stop quite right.

Still wanted to get it working right, but more feedback should hepl
this, so a release is good.

> I took the time to do a win32-service gem which I think I'll put up on the
> mongrel site so people can just gem install and go.  All works great so far.

Are you using the vc2003 I sent to you? adding the dependency is easy,
but we need to provide the binary gem too.

so win32-service and win32-service-mswin32... both gems available from
mongrel site, good! :D

> I also think we should take your examples/mongrel_rails_svc.rb and
> examples/mongrel_rails_service.rb and convert them to:
>
>   bin/mongrel_rails_service
>   bin/mongrel_rails_svc
>
> That way they can be install automagically by rubygems and available right
> on the command line to people.

Only bin/mongrel_rails_service should be linked as executable, the
_svc only will be used internally to fire it up (and cannot be fired
from a batch file).

> If you can make this change, sync up with svn, then I'll do a release
> tomorrow.

Ok, moving the scripts to bin, changing the extensions and doing the
right change in the gem.

> Otherwise it's incredibly cool.  It's sad to say that Mongrel will soon have
> better win32 support than Unix.
>
> Zed

Hehe, sounds great for me :-D

Later,