[Mongrel] Error : No protocol handler was valid for the URL...

Charles Brian Quinn me at seebq.com
Sat Dec 30 08:57:00 EST 2006

What happens if you put an index.html file in public and try to access that:

http://demo.site.com/index.html

or, since you've got the maintencence.html rewrite rule, put a
maintenence.html file in the system dir and see if it automatically
loads that....

Could you try this conf instead:

<VirtualHost *:80>
    ServerName myapp.com

    ProxyPass / http://www.myapp.com:8000/
    ProxyPassReverse / http://www.myapp.com:8000
    ProxyPreserveHost on
  </VirtualHost>

with a mongrel listening on 8000 (you may have to use localhost if
you've only bound your mongrel to 127.0.0.1 in the configuration).

if that works, like Zed, says, start to add back your balancer and the
rewrite rules and increase the complexity and see what happens....

if that apache install coexists with the 2.054, it could be reading
that one's doc root and skipping over yours.  where's your .conf file
for that app, and where does it get loaded, starting from, say
httpd.conf.  For example, /etc/httpd.conf loads vhosts.d/mysite.conf ,
etc....

good luck,

--
Charles Brian Quinn