[Mongrel] Error : No protocol handler was valid for the URL...

Pou Belle woufdraft at gmail.com
Fri Dec 29 17:22:51 EST 2006

Hi everybody,

    I just suscribe to the list because I have a problem using mongrel and
mongrel_cluster... I setup a server (debian unstable wich provide apache
2.2.3 as a pakage) but I have an error when I try to access my application :
ERROR 403 :  Forbidden, You don't have permission to access / on this

When I check apache's logs I found that :
[warn] proxy: No protocol handler was valid for the URL /. If you are using
a DSO version of mod_proxy, make sure the proxy submodules are included in
the configuration using LoadModule.

I googled this error and I found that I have to load 3 differents modules,
so I typed :
a2enmod proxy
a2enmod proxy_http
a2enmod proxy_balancer
each time I get this return : This module is already enabled!

So I have no idea to what can i do ...
This is my config :
cat /etc/apache2/mods-enabled/proxy.conf
<IfModule mod_proxy.c>
        #turning ProxyRequests on and allowing proxying from all may allow
        #spammers to use your proxy to send email.

        ProxyRequests Off

        <Proxy *>
                AddDefaultCharset off
                Order deny,allow
                Allow from all
                #Allow from .example.com

        # Enable/disable the handling of HTTP/1.1 "Via:" headers.
        # ("Full" adds the server version; "Block" removes all outgoing Via:
        # Set to one of: Off | On | Full | Block

        ProxyVia On
cat /etc/apache2/sites-enabled/demo.mysite.com
<VirtualHost *:80>
  ServerName demo.mysite.com
  DocumentRoot /var/rails/demo.mysite.com/current/public

  <Directory "/var/rails/demo.mysite.com/current/public">
    Options FollowSymLinks
    AllowOverride None
    Order allow,deny
    Allow from all

  <Proxy balancer://mongrel_cluster>
         BalancerMember <>
         BalancerMember <>
         BalancerMember <>

  RewriteEngine On

  # Make sure people go to demo.mysite.com, not myapp.com
  #RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^myapp.com$ [NC]
  #RewriteRule ^(.*)$ http://www.myapp.com$1 [R=301,L]
  # Yes, I've read no-www.com, but my site already has much Google-Fu on
  # www.blah.com. Feel free to comment this out.

  # Uncomment for rewrite debugging
  #RewriteLog logs/myapp_rewrite_log
  #RewriteLogLevel 9

  # Check for maintenance file and redirect all requests
  RewriteCond %{DOCUMENT_ROOT}/system/maintenance.html -f
  RewriteCond %{SCRIPT_FILENAME} !maintenance.html
  RewriteRule ^.*$ /system/maintenance.html [L]

  # Rewrite index to check for static
  RewriteRule ^/$ /index.html [QSA]

  # Rewrite to check for Rails cached page
  RewriteRule ^([^.]+)$ $1.html [QSA]

  # Redirect all non-static requests to cluster
  RewriteRule ^/(.*)$ balancer://mongrel_cluster%{REQUEST_URI} [P,QSA,L]

  # Deflate
  AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE text/html text/plain text/xml
application/xml application/xhtml+xml text/javascript text/css
  BrowserMatch ^Mozilla/4 gzip-only-text/html
  BrowserMatch ^Mozilla/4.0[678] no-gzip
  BrowserMatch \bMSIE !no-gzip !gzip-only-text/html

  # Uncomment for deflate debugging
  #DeflateFilterNote Input input_info
  #DeflateFilterNote Output output_info
  #DeflateFilterNote Ratio ratio_info
  #LogFormat '"%r" %{output_info}n/%{input_info}n (%{ratio_info}n%%)'
  #CustomLog logs/myapp_deflate_log deflate

  ErrorLog /var/log/apache2/demo.mysite.com_errors_log
  CustomLog /var/log/apache2/demo.mysite.com_log combined

(Configuration comes principaly from

I need some help, thanks.
(Hope you understand my english... I'm french)