[Mongrel] Mongrel fails in Win32, mongrel_service missing, with possible fix

Luis Lavena luislavena at gmail.com
Thu Dec 28 18:24:18 EST 2006

On 12/28/06, Joey Geiger <jgeiger at gmail.com> wrote:
> I just ran into an issue with a new mongrel install on Win32. When
> trying to run mongrel from RadRails 0.7.2 on win32, I got an error
> while loading that it couldn't locate mongrel_service.
> C:/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:27:in
> `gem_original_require': no such file to load --
> C:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/mongrel_service-0.3.1/lib/mongrel_service/init.rb
> (LoadError)
> [snip]
> If I go into the gems directory and rename
> mongrel_service-0.3.1-mswin32 to mongrel_service-0.3.1 mongrel will
> properly load.

You forgot to update gem_plugin. stable 0.2.1 version will fail to
load ANY gem that is platform specific (like the mongrel_service gem).
The version in releases is 0.2.2 and solve that issue.

gem update --source=http://mongrel.rubyforge.org/releases

Will update it, or could manually do with:

gem install gem_plugin --source=http://mongrel.rubyforge.org/releases

> Just FYI.

Zed mention that in his ANN, you must remove all the previous versions
of any gem used by mongrel to avoid these issues.

Luis Lavena
Multimedia systems
is worthwhile.
Vince Lombardi