[Mongrel] Multiple DocRoots

Zed A. Shaw zedshaw at zedshaw.com
Wed Dec 27 14:20:34 EST 2006

On Wed, 27 Dec 2006 13:17:28 -0500
"Todd Fisher" <todd.fisher at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm wondering if it's possible to setup mongrel to have multiple document
> roots?  The use case I'm trying to solve is one where I have a library of
> shared CSS/JS/Images and would like multiple rails application to use them.
> I have written a proxy controller and added some routes to serve the static
> files and it works reasonably well, but is extremely slow, because it's
> single threaded.  I'd like mongrel to serve these files.  I'm wondering if
> there is a way to use -s option to add an aditional document root handler.

Piece of cake.  Let's say I want a rails public directory to be at both / and at /newplace/ then I just do this:

1) Put this in a mongrel.conf file:

  uri "/newplace", :handler => DirHandler.new("public")

2) Run mongrel like this:

  mongrel_rails start -S mongrel.conf

3) Go to http://localhost:3000/newplace/ and you see the same thing as http://localhost:3000/

That's it.