[Mongrel] no log/mongrel.log file on win32, looking for suggestions...

Luis Lavena luislavena at gmail.com
Tue Dec 26 23:12:37 EST 2006

On 12/27/06, Zed A. Shaw <zedshaw at zedshaw.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 26 Dec 2006 22:38:45 -0300
> "Luis Lavena" <luislavena at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hello Mongrels around the world!
>
> Insult! :-)

Ok, ok, now you're king hope you don't send troops to execute me :-P

> <snip>
> > A. Should mongrel on windows redirect the output (log information)
> > from console to a log file, only if -d daemonize was specified (in a
> > similar way like *nix platforms).
>
> I don't think this is good since -d means daemonize.  If people run it from the command line with -d and it just shows no output then they'll get confused.
>
> > or
>
> > B. Or redirect always and suppress all the console information (STDOUT
> > and STDERR).
>
> Is it possible that the service can just redirect STDERR and STDOUT to the log file?  That'd fall more in line with how daemonize works on Unix.

That is possible, but will force users to run in service mode even if
they are just debugging (like I do, open a terminal and run
mongrel_rails there).

Also, will require mongrel_service be more clever and actually parse
the config script or command line for references to log file...
something that I don't plan to include in the following weeks (busy
with other stuff).

> Zed A. Shaw, MUDCRAP-CE Master Black Belt Sifu

BTW, where is my MUDCRAP-CE cert? I voted for you!... ;-)

--
Luis Lavena
Multimedia systems