[Mongrel] no log/mongrel.log file on win32, looking for sugge stions...

Bacchu, Anjan anjan.bacchu at Summit.Fiserv.com
Tue Dec 26 20:54:33 EST 2006

Hi Luis,

  answers in CAPS.

-----Original Message-----
From: Luis Lavena [mailto:luislavena at gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, December 26, 2006 5:39 PM
To: mongrel-users at rubyforge.org
Subject: [Mongrel] no log/mongrel.log file on win32, looking for
suggestions...

Hello Mongrels around the world!

Been thinking a way to unify the issue I described in the subject.

For those who aren't aware, mongrel (actually, mongrel_rails) only generate
the log file if daemonize was used (-d)

That means no log file under windows, due his lack of fork/daemonization
capabilities.

Now, users that need to run mongrel on windows cannot report and fill the
empty spaces with information truly important about why mongrel isn't
playing nice (or being a bad dog?).

I will like some suggestions on this area, which I think is important,
looking to reduce platform specific *notes*.

A. Should mongrel on windows redirect the output (log information) from
console to a log file, only if -d daemonize was specified (in a similar way
like *nix platforms).

YES!

or

B. Or redirect always and suppress all the console information (STDOUT and
STDERR).

Please, mongrel users on windows affected by this provide feedback.

Thanks in advance your time.

--
Luis Lavena
Multimedia systems