[Mongrel] Rubygems 0.9.0.8 and Fastthread problem

Ezra Zygmuntowicz ezmobius at gmail.com
Tue Dec 26 17:04:12 EST 2006

Heya Folks-

	This is mainly for Zed and Mentalguy. I have been playing with the
new release of rubygems 0.9.0.8 and I have a major problem with the
requirement that fastthread needs to be required before thread. Just
requiring rubygems and then requiring fastthread right after that
will throw the error:

ez _blog $ ruby
require 'rubygems'
require 'fastthread'
__END__
/usr//lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/fastthread-0.5.3.1/lib/
fastthread.bundle: fastthread must be required before thread
(RuntimeError)
         from /usr//lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:
32:in `require'
         from -:2
ez _blog $ ruby -v
ruby 1.8.5 (2006-08-25) [i686-darwin8.7.1]
ez _blog $ gem -v
0.9.0.8

	I have been requiring fastthread in Merb but now that mongrel uses
it I want to remove my requires for it from merb. But right now with
the new version of rubygems I can't use fastthread installed as a gem
at all.

	Is the solution to this just to install fastthread via setup.rb
instead of gems so we can require it first? Does fastthread really
have to be required first? Can this be changed?

	Another area where I run into this issue is with rake. rake requires
thread when you invoke it form the command line before you get a
chance to require fastthread first. So you get the fastthread load
error.

	Whats the best solution to this? Can fastthread be made to be ok if
it loads after thread? Fastthread is great and has really improved
the mem profile for me in a bunch of installs. But with this new
version of rubygems there doesn't seem to be a way to use fastthread
at all if it is installed as a gem.

	Here is the same test run with the current 0.9 version of rubygems:

ey00-s00089 ~ # ruby
require 'rubygems'
require 'fastthread'
__END__
ey00-s00089 ~ # ruby -v
ruby 1.8.5 (2006-08-25) [x86_64-linux]
ey00-s00089 ~ # gem -v
0.9.0

	It works fine here. But I suspect this will start affecting more and
more folks as they upgrade to rubygems latest.

Thoughts?

Cheer-s

-- Ezra Zygmuntowicz
-- Lead Rails Evangelist