[Mongrel] exception logging

Dane Jensen careo at fastmail.fm
Sun Dec 24 01:39:58 EST 2006

On Dec 22, 2006, at 8:53 PM, Zed A. Shaw wrote:

> On Fri, 22 Dec 2006 17:50:45 -0800
> Dane Jensen <careo at fastmail.fm> wrote:
>
>> Hi all-
>>
>> I'm running mongrel with a tiny HttpHandler that hooks into a larger
>> library I'm working on. I've run into a snag with trying to debug
>> with it in that I'm not entirely sure how to get the exception logs
>> of errors that are raised.
>>
>> All I get to stderr is this:
>> 	Fri Dec 22 17:16:14 -0800 2006: ERROR: Couldn't find Models::Contact
>> without an ID
>>
>> While I like knowing an error occurred, I'd really really really love
>> to know where and be able to find why.
>>
>> I'm probably missing something simple in the docs, but how do I turn
>> this on or set it up?
>
> Yep Dane, for the folks who want the exceptions in production (or
> even just development) you just hit your process with:
>
> killall -USR1 mongrel_rails
>
> Or send USR1 to a specific mongrel process to get it's light debug
> output.  This is fast enough to run in production mode in case you
> have a problem you need to debug that only shows up there.
>
> When you get the stack trace send it to me.  You really should be
> seeing errors like that at the Mongrel level but rather you should
> see them at the Rails level.

Zed-

Thanks for pointing me towards the USR1 signal. I'm not running
mongrel_rails, as I'm not using Rails, and USR1 killed the process
outright. I thought that was strange (especially because I recall
seeing mongrel spit out something about setting up signal handlers at
one point on another project....) and dug into the source.

Turns out I needed a simple 'config.setup_signals' before my
'config.join' in my handler. Oops.

Thanks!
-Dane