[Mongrel] exception logging

Zed A. Shaw zedshaw at zedshaw.com
Fri Dec 22 23:53:54 EST 2006

On Fri, 22 Dec 2006 17:50:45 -0800
Dane Jensen <careo at fastmail.fm> wrote:

> Hi all-
>
> I'm running mongrel with a tiny HttpHandler that hooks into a larger
> library I'm working on. I've run into a snag with trying to debug
> with it in that I'm not entirely sure how to get the exception logs
> of errors that are raised.
>
> All I get to stderr is this:
> 	Fri Dec 22 17:16:14 -0800 2006: ERROR: Couldn't find Models::Contact
> without an ID
>
> While I like knowing an error occurred, I'd really really really love
> to know where and be able to find why.
>
> I'm probably missing something simple in the docs, but how do I turn
> this on or set it up?

Yep Dane, for the folks who want the exceptions in production (or even just development) you just hit your process with:

killall -USR1 mongrel_rails

Or send USR1 to a specific mongrel process to get it's light debug output.  This is fast enough to run in production mode in case you have a problem you need to debug that only shows up there.

When you get the stack trace send it to me.  You really should be seeing errors like that at the Mongrel level but rather you should see them at the Rails level.

http://www.zedshaw.com/
http://mongrel.rubyforge.org/