[Mongrel] why gem doesnt use CONFIG["arch"]

Luis Lavena luislavena at gmail.com
Fri Dec 22 00:53:58 EST 2006

On 12/21/06, carmen <_ at whats-your.name> wrote:
> On Thu Dec 21, 2006 at 01:38:39PM -0500, Charles Brian Quinn wrote:
> > I know we already mentioned this before on the list but I couldn't
> > find it in the archives.  Is there a way to differentiate the versions
> > for ruby/mswin32 so that I could run a command like:
> >
> > # sudo gem install mongrel
> > --source=http://mongrel.rubyforge.org/releases/ --include-dependencies
> > --version 1.0
> >
> > and have it not prompt me like this:
> >
> > Select which gem to install for your platform (i686-linux)
> >  1. mongrel 1.0 (ruby)
> >  2. mongrel 1.0 (mswin32)
> >  3. Cancel installation
> >
> > my feeble attempts at scripting this and trying to automatically pipe
> > or echo 1 into the installation are failing.
> >
> > Anyone know how to do this automatically
> submit a patch to the rubygems package:
> m ~ # irb
> irb(main):001:0> include Config
> => Object
> irb(main):002:0> CONFIG["arch"]
> => "x86_64-linux"
> irb(main):003:0>
> this should be enough for it to answer its own questions from now on...
> in the meantime, pay close attention when running 'gem install mongrel'. the ruby version of FastThread is 2), while the ruby version of mongrel is 1) ..
> by ruby version, do we meen UNIX version? thats a bit confusing. since presumably both versions have C code that is compiled to the platform (ie the 'ruby' choice isnt really pure-ruby)

That is a problem, nor Zed or me could package precompiled versions of
the gem to each platform supported by ruby.

Also, each linux distro links against different version of glibc and
with different shared libraries, which could turn things bad with a
few segfaults due ABI incompatibilities.

The "ruby" term used by rubygems could be interpreted as the simplest
/ plain gem that will work on any platform, if you could provide the
conditions required for each particular case (like a compiler or
another gem).

In the case of mswin32, its also wrong, but is the only way to close
the gap between users, and allow ppl without compilers or extensive C
development knowledge use packages.

I guess that couldn't and, from my POV, will not be fixed, at least on
the gems I package or maintain.

Luis Lavena
Multimedia systems
is worthwhile.