[Mongrel] mongrel_service-0.3.1 problems - service will not start

Luis Lavena luislavena at gmail.com
Fri Dec 22 00:48:21 EST 2006

On 12/21/06, Ball, Donald A Jr (Library) <donald.ball at nashville.gov> wrote:
> My bad, it appears to have been a permissions problem. When I change the
> service from the system account to logon as myself, the service starts
> nicely.

Good to know was a permission problem (which often is, btw). You
should check if your LocalSystem account have permissions to c:/ruby
and the path of your application (check if SYSTEM is allowed in the
Properties->Security of your folders).

> And handles the segfault condition relatively gracefully (the
> process terminates, closing the socket, but restarts). The only problem
> I see now is that this abnormal condition does not appear in the
> mongrel/rails log or in the windows event log. Is there somewhere else I
> should be looking to find these?

It currently don't log information to any place, except internal
information to c:/ruby/bin/servicefb.log and service.log.

There is a problem with mongrel in the way it handles their logger. by
default, unless you specify -d (daemonize), mongrel will "log" to
STDOUT (which is console).

Now, on windows there isn't daemonize functionality, so STDOUT &
STDERR are lost on hidden consoles.

I trick mongrel to think there is a valid console, and I created pipes
that handle STDOUT and STDERR, but redirecting them to a file could
raise a few issues (mostly with file locking on some cluster

I'll try to find a solution by tomorrow, guess will not be at mongrel
side, but mongrel_service, parsing the command line and redirecting
both STDOUT/ERR to the specified logging file.

Comments and suggestions on this are welcome.

I'm glad that the process monitoring worked for someone besides me! ;-)

Until tomorrow,

Luis Lavena
Multimedia systems
is worthwhile.