[Mongrel] versioning of win32 versus ruby gems

Zed A. Shaw zedshaw at zedshaw.com
Thu Dec 21 21:30:25 EST 2006

On Thu, 21 Dec 2006 14:13:12 -0500
"Charles Brian Quinn" <me at seebq.com> wrote:

> Thanks Steven,
>
> This is using Jamis' net/ssh library and using:
>
> sudo cmd do |channel, stream, data|
>        data.each_line do | line |
>
> to regex match lines and type in input.  this could work, but i was
> hoping for bash or something simpler....
>
> Guess that means it's time to move my all of my shell scripts over to
> ruby (except for the one that installs ruby) ;-)

You know you can make your own gem source right?  I think that'd be a hell of a lot better for provisioning a bunch of machines than pulling the stuff of the internet.  Take a look in the Rakefile for mongrel at the gem_source target.  All you do is grab all the .gem files your systems need, then run the gem indexing tool and rsync them up to your own web server.  After that, you just setup all your scripts to always grab from there instead of the internet.  Should speed things up and you can even do different sources for win32 vs. unix gems.

http://www.zedshaw.com/
http://mongrel.rubyforge.org/