[Mongrel] why gem doesnt use CONFIG["arch"]

carmen _ at whats-your.name
Thu Dec 21 17:13:26 EST 2006

On Thu Dec 21, 2006 at 01:38:39PM -0500, Charles Brian Quinn wrote:
> I know we already mentioned this before on the list but I couldn't
> find it in the archives.  Is there a way to differentiate the versions
> for ruby/mswin32 so that I could run a command like:
>
> # sudo gem install mongrel
> --source=http://mongrel.rubyforge.org/releases/ --include-dependencies
> --version 1.0
>
> and have it not prompt me like this:
>
> Select which gem to install for your platform (i686-linux)
>  1. mongrel 1.0 (ruby)
>  2. mongrel 1.0 (mswin32)
>  3. Cancel installation
>
> my feeble attempts at scripting this and trying to automatically pipe
> or echo 1 into the installation are failing.
>
> Anyone know how to do this automatically

submit a patch to the rubygems package:

m ~ # irb
irb(main):001:0> include Config
=> Object
irb(main):002:0> CONFIG["arch"]
=> "x86_64-linux"
irb(main):003:0>

this should be enough for it to answer its own questions from now on...

in the meantime, pay close attention when running 'gem install mongrel'. the ruby version of FastThread is 2), while the ruby version of mongrel is 1) ..

by ruby version, do we meen UNIX version? thats a bit confusing. since presumably both versions have C code that is compiled to the platform (ie the 'ruby' choice isnt really pure-ruby)