[Mongrel] versioning of win32 versus ruby gems

Luis Lavena luislavena at gmail.com
Thu Dec 21 13:52:17 EST 2006

On 12/21/06, Charles Brian Quinn <me at seebq.com> wrote:
> I know we already mentioned this before on the list but I couldn't
> find it in the archives.  Is there a way to differentiate the versions
> for ruby/mswin32 so that I could run a command like:
> # sudo gem install mongrel
> --source=http://mongrel.rubyforge.org/releases/ --include-dependencies
> --version 1.0
> and have it not prompt me like this:
> Select which gem to install for your platform (i686-linux)
>  1. mongrel 1.0 (ruby)
>  2. mongrel 1.0 (mswin32)
>  3. Cancel installation
> my feeble attempts at scripting this and trying to automatically pipe
> or echo 1 into the installation are failing.
> Anyone know how to do this automatically, or could we somehow add a
> number or letter to the version?

That's a rubygem limitation.

You could manually download the gem:

wget http://mongrel.rubyforge.org/releases/gems/mongrel-1.0.gem

and do:

gem install path/to/gem-name.gem

maybe you could ask the rubygem guys or fill a bug report on their tracker:

Luis Lavena
Multimedia systems
is worthwhile.
Vince Lombardi