[Mongrel] mongrel_cluster: selective restarts

Kaspar Schiess eule at space.ch
Wed Dec 20 06:35:45 EST 2006

Hi Brad

> I just found your mail buried deep in my fluxura box. Sorry about that!
> I guess my main question is why would you use mongrel_cluster instead of
>   the  Mongrel configuration file option (-C) and specify the port on
> the command line like 'mongrel_rails  start -C /path/to/your/file -p 3000'?

The way I understand this command is that it will only ever allow me to
start one instance at once. (side note: I am not sure as to if -C does
override any other command line options or not.)

What I want to be able to do is manage a couple of mongrels all at once
using mongrel cluster::start/stop/restart _and_ selectively manipulate
mongrels in that cluster, while not breaking pid-file handling, etc.. of

If you tell me that I can get all of this with the existing code, I will
wield the quick 'rm' on all the new code. But I cannot see how you would
accomplish clustering and individual restarting just trough mongrel

Thanks for getting back to me!