[Mongrel] [ANN] Mongrel 1.0 RC1 Full Win32 Build

Zed A. Shaw zedshaw at zedshaw.com
Wed Dec 20 01:16:53 EST 2006

Hello Minions!

It's *finally* here.  Mongrel 1.0 RC1 for everyone to test, even the win32 folks.  I managed to get everything to build on windows, including fastthread, and even cleaned up the "releases source":http://mongrel.rubyforge.org/releases/ so that it should install cleaner.  Win32 will have to try and report problems, as it seems rubygems is real finicky on win32.

UNIX Install with:

 $ gem install mongrel --source=http://mongrel.rubyforge.org/releases

WIN32 Install with:

 $ gem uninstall mongrel
 $ gem uninstall gem_plugin
 $ gem uninstall fastthread
 $ gem install fastthread --source=http://mongrel.rubyforge.org/releases
 $ gem install mongrel --source=http://mongrel.rubyforge.org/releases
 $ gem install mongrel_service --source=http://mongrel.rubyforge.org/releases

If you have problems with fastthread then skip it, it's optional on Win32.  The win32 process is more involved because there hasn't been a stable release of it for a while now.  That's why you have to remove everything you can and then re-install.

*** Make sure that gem_plugin is version 0.2.2 or the whole thing dies.  ***

If you have problems installing any of this then add a / to the end of the source:

 $ gem install mongrel --source=http://mongrel.rubyforge.org/releases/

Yes, that's retarded, blame the rubygems folks.

You can view the ChangeLog for this latest release "in the releases":http://mongrel.rubyforge.org/releases/ChangeLog directory like normal.  This ChangeLog covers everything done since 0.3.18 but it's in svn log format so only read it if you're really uptight.

And as usual, report any bugs.  I'll be posting instructions on using the new mongrel_service when I get them from Luis.

Before you go off installing this thing in your production servers because you missed the RC1 identifier, remember that RC means "Release Candidate".  Test it to death, use it, report bugs, but only a fool installs it in mission critical situations without fully testing it.

If nobody has any problems with this release then it'll go out on Friday as the official 1.0 release.