[Mongrel] mongrel_cluster: selective restarts

Zed A. Shaw zedshaw at zedshaw.com
Mon Dec 18 06:14:58 EST 2006

On Mon, 18 Dec 2006 11:43:52 +0100
Phillip Oertel <phillip.oertel at openbc.com> wrote:

> hi all,
> wouldn't this be really useful for updating production servers as well?
> instead of taking down all mongrels at once, you could restart one
> after another.
> so you have zero downtime, and depeding on how smart your script is
> even cancel restart of
> mongrel n+1 if mongrel n hasn't come up successfully.

Problem is this gets ultra complex and everyone wants it done differently.  Most folks who want this simply write their own version and get exactly what they want.  A general solution seems to be a whopper of a task (trust me I've tried a few times).

If you can write something up and post it out then go for it.  Mongrel gives folks the tools to do custom management processes with this in mind.