[Mongrel] Apache slows to a grinding halt... Did I screw up or is something wrong?

carmen _ at whats-your.name
Sun Dec 17 02:37:43 EST 2006

> Now, 2 hours ago, everything is seemingly normal when all of a sudden
> the site grinds to a halt. Yet, it doesn't seem like I'm getting a
> surge of traffic. I check the server and it is 90% idle. I check my
> mongrel processes and they are still dishing out the site like champs.
> The culprit is apache! It takes it 20 - 40 seconds to server a small
> static html file. Something is wrong.
> I pretty much only use apache as a front for mongrel, so I ask here.
> Were my original settings completely dumb or is something else wrong?

it's hard to configure apache correctly, even if you discount for the step of finding /etc/apache2/modules/mods-enabled/41_my_unfavorite_module.mod ..

if its any consolation, i can't get apache to not unescape the URLs before handing off to mongrel, even when manually constructing the proxypass URI and explicitly leaving out any unescape statements.. i had a similar experience trying to configure mod_perl, and weird performance issues like the one above (when using fastCGI anyways)..

> I'm no amazing system administrator, so I'm hoping that it's something
> I did wrong and stupid and having a 300 second timeout is just a
> mistake I made.
> Any insight?

try ngina or lighty

if its ust a random halt then finally a failure (or success), it coudl be a DNS issue..