[Mongrel] Early morning strange error saying: Status: 500 Internal Server Error

Eden Li eden.li at gmail.com
Sat Dec 16 06:39:29 EST 2006

How are you handling log rotation?  I was encountering really strange,
non-logged 500 errors every week because I used some bad log rotation
advice from the Rails wiki.  I don't have the link handy since it
seems the wiki is down right now, but I found this thread:

  http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-talk/218107

The jist: Don't let Logger rotate the log.

Instead, let Rails log as much as it wants to into production.log and
rely on some out-of-process log rotation daemon (eg, logrotate).   Or,
switch to some ruby-based logging solution that works when more than
one process tries to rotate the same log file. I personally use the
former.

HTH,
eden