[Mongrel] RMagick=bad, ???=good

Rick Olson technoweenie at gmail.com
Fri Dec 15 14:24:56 EST 2006

On 12/15/06, David Heinemeier Hansson <david at loudthinking.com> wrote:
> > Although our site is
> > not running in Ruby, yet, we have worked through a number of
> > approaches
> > to handling this, but only one has the desired properties we need,
> > which is automatic recovery and minimal impact to running code on
> > failure: exec out another process to do image manipulation.
>
> I must admit that we do the same thing at 37signals. But actually not
> because of memory leaks, but because we found it easier to do:
>
>      def thumbnail(temp, target)
>        system "convert #{escape(temp)} -resize 48x48! #{escape(target)}"
>      end
>
> Rather than to get the full RMagick machinery cooking.

There's also minimagick, which is a shell around imagemagick commands.
 Probably easier if you want to do more complex operations on your
images.

Oh, and ImageScience, which uses FreeImage and a light inline ruby
wrapper.  http://seattlerb.rubyforge.org/ImageScience.html

--
Rick Olson
http://weblog.techno-weenie.net