[Mongrel] RMagick=bad, ???=good

David Heinemeier Hansson david at loudthinking.com
Fri Dec 15 13:25:32 EST 2006

> Although our site is
> not running in Ruby, yet, we have worked through a number of
> approaches
> to handling this, but only one has the desired properties we need,
> which is automatic recovery and minimal impact to running code on
> failure: exec out another process to do image manipulation.

I must admit that we do the same thing at 37signals. But actually not
because of memory leaks, but because we found it easier to do:

     def thumbnail(temp, target)
       system "convert #{escape(temp)} -resize 48x48! #{escape(target)}"

Rather than to get the full RMagick machinery cooking.
David Heinemeier Hansson
http://www.37signals.com    -- Basecamp, Campfire, Backpack, Getting
http://www.rubyonrails.com  -- Web-application framework