[Mongrel] RMagick=bad, ???=good

Jim Powers rancor at mindspring.com
Fri Dec 15 12:59:35 EST 2006

On Fri, 15 Dec 2006 11:14:20 -0600
"Joey Geiger" <jgeiger at gmail.com> wrote:

> I know that Zed has made mention of the fact that using RMagick with
> mongrel and rails is a bad thing. I'm currently using FlexImage (which
> in turn uses RMagick) on my application and really haven't had too
> many problems. We get a restart for memory usage every 8-10 hours on
> one mongrel of twelve running, but I'm not sure if that's an RMagick
> issue. Either way, I'd like to make my system better if I can.
> Right now I've got controllers that are using both send_data (sending
> image stored in the db, using RMagick to crop/resize before sending)
> and send_file (sending a static image on the site that needs to be
> sent inline). Image upload is being handled by FlexImage, which will
> save the image to the DB, resizing it to 640x480 before saving if it's
> too big.
> My question is, what then is the preferred method of doing image
> manipulation while running mongrel?
> Convert FlexImage to use mini-magick?
> Create a custom system to offload the image processing to another
> process?
> If someone can provide some insight or examples, it would be

I work on a <shall not be named here> large Web site devoted to
handling large numbers of photographic imagery.  Although our site is
not running in Ruby, yet, we have worked through a number of approaches
to handling this, but only one has the desired properties we need,
which is automatic recovery and minimal impact to running code on
failure: exec out another process to do image manipulation.

If you're doing something small, feel free to use
RMagick+death+recovery if you want, but exec-ing out really is the way
to go.