[Mongrel] RMagick=bad, ???=good

Joey Geiger jgeiger at gmail.com
Fri Dec 15 12:14:20 EST 2006

I know that Zed has made mention of the fact that using RMagick with
mongrel and rails is a bad thing. I'm currently using FlexImage (which
in turn uses RMagick) on my application and really haven't had too
many problems. We get a restart for memory usage every 8-10 hours on
one mongrel of twelve running, but I'm not sure if that's an RMagick
issue. Either way, I'd like to make my system better if I can.

Right now I've got controllers that are using both send_data (sending
image stored in the db, using RMagick to crop/resize before sending)
and send_file (sending a static image on the site that needs to be
sent inline). Image upload is being handled by FlexImage, which will
save the image to the DB, resizing it to 640x480 before saving if it's
too big.

My question is, what then is the preferred method of doing image
manipulation while running mongrel?
Convert FlexImage to use mini-magick?
Create a custom system to offload the image processing to another process?

If someone can provide some insight or examples, it would be appreciated.