[Mongrel] running mongrel in production on win32

Luis Lavena luislavena at gmail.com
Fri Dec 15 12:04:05 EST 2006

On 12/15/06, Ball, Donald A Jr (Library) <donald.ball at nashville.gov> wrote:
> Hey guys, I'm running the mongrel server that comes with rails-1.2rc1
> for development on a winxp box, anticipating taking it into production
> on a win2k3 box in the next few weeks.

Ok, which version of mongrel is bundled with rails-1.2? Please list
the gems you have installed, because, AFAIK, script\server will only
load mongrel if the gem is found.

You are starting it using mongrel_rails or script/server?

> I've had a couple of crashes
> occur during development that give me pause, however. I made a ticket
> for the last one here:
> http://dev.rubyonrails.org/ticket/6841

That bug seems weird, also unrelated to rails but Ruby itself.

> I know, or at least believe, that mongrel isn't responsible for these,
> but I'm curious if or how folks maintain stable production services
> relying on mongrel on win32. If installed as a service, does the service
> restart cleanly if the mongrel instance crashes? (I've seen reports to
> indicate this is not the case.) Am I just asking for trouble pursuing
> this as a production environment? Is the mongrel_cluster code ready for
> primetime on win32 yet?

Lastest mongrel_service gem provide what you need, if somehow the ruby
process die (due a unhandled exception) the service will automatically
spawn a new one.

There is no way (yet, still need to test some things) to monitor
deeply if the ruyb process hang and not die.

The mongrel_cluster base his "magic" on daemonize, which requires
fork() and isn't compatible with win32.

Its planned for mongrel_service to provide this functionality, maybe
during january.

> Thanks for any tips. Cheers.
> - donald

Will be very helpful if you provide more information about your
database (and version), mongrel, rails, ruby and windows version to we
could get a better picture of your situation.

Regards and good weekend,

Luis Lavena
Multimedia systems
is worthwhile.