[Mongrel] [ANN] Mongrel 0.3.19 -- The Gnostic MIME Type Release

Zed A. Shaw zedshaw at zedshaw.com
Fri Dec 15 06:42:11 EST 2006

Hello All,

I'm putting out a quick half-release because there's some work on the MIME types I've included that needs to be done by all of you.  Read at the end to understand your role in what you started.

This release features two major capitulations on Mongrel's stance of not being a full web server.  The first is Mongrel now sports a YAML file with 739 MIME types in it that it will use.  The second is Mongrel will now accept clients who insist on doing their requests with "GET http://host:3000/index.html HTTP/1.1" even though it's not understood by a web server (that's for *proxies* people).

It also features a patch to allow for multiple listeners on the request chains, so anyone running *mongrel_upload_progress* should test it heavily.  Finally, we're getting close to having a clean build for win32, and my apology for holding things back on that.

Install with:

 $ gem install fastthread --source=http://mongrel.rubyforge.org/releases
 $ gem install mongrel --source=http://mongrel.rubyforge.org/releases

If you get an error about the missing mime_types.yml file then uninstall Mongrel completely and reinstall.

THE MIME TYPES SHALL BE DECIDED BY COMBAT

Now, the MIME types are not finalized because, after looking at several sources I found out everyone is completely out to lunch.  I gathered together severalsources and recommended mime types, merged them all together, sorted and made them unique.

I now have a wiki page entitle The Gnostic MIME Types:

http://wiki.rubyonrails.org/rails/pages/TheGnosticMimeTypes

And I'm going to leave it up for the next 24 hours.  People can edit the list to
remove what they think are invalid, correct the list, and fight over wiki wars
to make the MIME type list.

Whatever survives after the wars will become the official Mongrel MIME types.
The ones that remain will be labeled "The Gnostic MIME Types" and simply
documented on the Mongrel site so people know what happened.

Let the battle begin!

WIN32 I STILL LOVE YOU

I'm still working on this last change or two and then I'm going to chain myself to win32 for the next week until that side is rock solid.  Luis has been working extra hard making the sweet new service management app, so this should be a great next release for you folks.

http://www.zedshaw.com/
http://mongrel.rubyforge.org/