[Mongrel] Status: 500 Internal Server Error

Matthew Whittaker mwhitt89 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 14 09:56:46 EST 2006

I deployed my application to production one week ago.  After letting
the app run overnight, every morning I wake up to a strange 500
Internal Server Error.  After resetting the mongrel cluster the
application works fine until the next morning.  I have tired setting
the ENV to development and I am still getting the errors.  I turned
on the mongrel debugging and this morning I noticed that the request
was coming into mongrel and being picked up in rails.log and
threads.log, however it would not show up in production.log.  I also
noticed that I got the error on specific mongrel instances.  I
originally started with 3 instances and two would go bad and one was
alive in the morning.  When I went to two, one would die and one
would live in the morning.  I just stuck four out there to see if
three will die and one will live tomorrow morning.  I have no idea
where to go from here, HELP!

My Environment is as follows:
Debian 3.1
Rails 1.1.6
Ruby 1.8.5
Mongrel 0.3.13.4
Mongrel Cluster 0.2.1
Apache 2.2.3

I am using the de facto Apache mod_proxy deployment. Any help into
the solution or further steps on how to debug this would be appreciated.

Kind Regards,
Matt