[Mongrel] compress and max upload size?

Xavier Noria fxn at hashref.com
Sat Dec 9 16:50:49 EST 2006

On Dec 9, 2006, at 10:16 PM, Aleksandar Lazic wrote:

> On Sam 09.12.2006 20:05, Xavier Noria wrote:
>> Once I've got compressed content, we go up to about 10 req/s,
>> still not
>> close to the 17 req/s of Apache. I think I don't have evidence of the
>> speed of Nginx + mongrel_cluster for my particular application at
>> least, so I'll get back to Apache 2.2.3 + mod_proxy_balancer.
> Hm, with which options do you have build nginx?

I used --with-http_ssl_module --with-http_flv_module.

> On witch OS, HW, ...?

That's a Debian

   $ uname -a
   Linux machine.dedi.acens.net 2.6.8-3-686-smp #1 \
   SMP Thu Sep 7 04:39:15 UTC 2006 i686 GNU/Linux

> Have you tried the worker_processes option?

Yes, I tried all the things proposed in your email, but there was no
noticeable difference.

> Please add:
>       sendfile        on;

That was on most of the time, I think I removed it towards the end
doing configuration combinatorics :-).

>>     gzip on;
>>     gzip_types   text/plain text/css application/x-javascript text/
>> xml;
>>     gzip_proxied any;
>>     gzip_comp_level 2;
>       ^^^^^^^^
> Please comment this out

With default compression level I get a response which is bigger than
the one sent by Apache. Since I am comparing both setups I tweaked
that documented parameter to match them.

>>     gzip_http_version 1.0; # for ab and wget
> Please can you tell me what's in error log!

Sure, there's nothing. There were some traces when in my trials I
execeeded client_max_body_size on purpose. When benchmarks run
there's nothing printed to the error log.

-- fxn