[Mongrel] compress and max upload size?

Ezra Zygmuntowicz ezmobius at gmail.com
Sat Dec 9 15:37:15 EST 2006

On Dec 9, 2006, at 11:05 AM, Xavier Noria wrote:

> On Dec 9, 2006, at 7:15 PM, Xavier Noria wrote:
>
>> On Dec 9, 2006, at 4:57 PM, Xavier Noria wrote:
>>
>>> Well, looks like the limit is working with Nginx, but I get very
>>> poor
>>> performance compared to Apache, same server machine, same (remote)
>>> stress machine. Apache is serving about 17 req/s, whereas Nginx is
>>> serving about 5 req/s. Since Nginx is known to be fast I bet my
>>> config, albeit simple, is somehow wrong. I attach it below in case
>>> some experienced eye catches something.
>>
>> I think I got something. The Content-Length reported by ab for Apache
>> is 4K, and for Nginx is 19K, so my guess is that compression is not
>> being triggered. If I use wget content is not compressed either. But
>> it comes compressed if I use Firefox.
>>
>> That would explain the difference. I will try another stress tool
>> then.
>
> Indeed, that was the problem.
>
> Once I've got compressed content, we go up to about 10 req/s, still
> not close to the 17 req/s of Apache. I think I don't have evidence of
> the speed of Nginx + mongrel_cluster for my particular application at
> least, so I'll get back to Apache 2.2.3 + mod_proxy_balancer.
>
> -- fxn
<snip>

	I think the reason you are seeing a difference between apache and
nginx in this situation is that your apache config is rewriting stuff
so that apache serves all static content. With your nginx config you
are sending all requests including those for static files to mongrel.
You need the appropriate rewite rules in nginx.conf in order to make
a fair comparison.

	Here is a complete nginx config for use with mongrel. It does all
the rewites toi assure static content is served by nginx. try this
one out for a more fair comparison

http://brainspl.at/nginx.conf.txt

Cheers-
-- Ezra Zygmuntowicz