[Mongrel] windows service auto start problems

Kevin Olbrich kevin.olbrich at gmail.com
Fri Dec 8 18:26:26 EST 2006

I actually had a worse experience recently. Partly of my own doing.
Win 2003 small business server.

1. installed instantrails
2. At one point configured apache to monitor port 3000 in an aborted
attempt to set up proxying.
3. gave up on apache for the moment, but got a mongrel_service running
monitoring the same port
4. started getting segfaults from mongrel (run in debug mode to see them)
5. updated some other software and restarted

Server hung during the login process and never allowed me to sign on.

After some digging I discovered the problem, I think.

Instant Rails was set to startup and run Apache, which captured port 3000
The mongrel service started and tried to capture the same port, but
couldnt.  So it failed, and because I had it set to restart the
service, this just kept going around in circles.

Had to login in safe mode and deactivated the mongrel service.

FWIW, I still get segfaults with mongrel as a service (but not if run
directly).  Haven't researched it enough to file a bug report yet.

On 12/8/06, Mark Roghelia <mroghelia at topsailtech.com> wrote:
> I have a small Rails app deployed on Windows Server 2003 and Mongrel
>  Everything works well, except when the Windows box is
> rebooted.  I have mongrel_service installed and the service is
> configured to start automatically, however Mongrel consistently fails
> to start after a reboot.  Windows reports the service's status as
> "Started", but attempts to access the app fail and checking Task
> Manager reveals there is no ruby process running.  If I manually stop
> and start the service at that point everything comes up fine.  I
> don't see anything of note in any of the log files in the Rails "log"
> directory, or in the Event Viewer.
> Has anyone else seen this kind of behavior?  If so, do you have any
> suggestions about how to work around it?
> I understand that work is currently being done to retool
> mongrel_service.  Is this possibly a known issue and something that
> is being addressed?
> Thanks,
> Mark Roghelia

Kevin Olbrich
kevin.olbrich at gmail.com

Unless otherwise indicated or obvious from the nature of the following
communication, the information contained herein is a privileged and
confidential information/work product. The communication is intended
for the use of the individual or entity named above. It the reader of
this transmission is not the intended recipient, you are hereby
notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this
communication in error or are not sure whether it is privileged,
please immediately notify us by return e-mail and destroy any copies,
electronic, paper, or otherwise, which you may have of this