[Mongrel] [SURVEY] MIME types questions for Mongrel 1.0 RC1

David Heinemeier Hansson david at loudthinking.com
Thu Dec 7 14:57:20 EST 2006

> You're saying page caching on a mongrel only setup will just work as
> long as the mime-types are properly configured?

Yes. The approach is the same as with lighttpd and Apache. First the
web server looks on the file system, if it doesn't find it, it'll
redirect to the 404 handler, which is Rails.

So if you have /products/5.xml in public, the web server will always
serve that rather than let Rails try. Thus, we need to make sure that
the file is then returned with application/xml mime type.

> Oh, and just out of curiosity, does 37 signals use mongrel or still
> lighty?

Both. We also use Apache. But newer deployments are happening on