[Mongrel] compression + max file size upload liimit?

Xavier Noria fxn at hashref.com
Thu Dec 7 13:17:22 EST 2006

I am using Mongrel Cluster with Apache 2.2.3 + mod_proxy_balancer and
would like to enable compression (assuming it improves throughtput)
and limit file size upload. I configured mod_deflate and
LimitRequestSize in Apache, but in my trials looks like the proxied
calls bypass those directives (the conf goes below).

Is there a way to get this?

-- fxn

NameVirtualHost *:80

# Configure the balancer to dispatch to the Mongrel cluster.
<Proxy balancer://example_cluster>

# Setup the VirtualHost for your Rails application
<VirtualHost *:80>
   ServerAdmin admin at example.com
   ServerName  www.example.com
   ServerAlias localhost

   LimitRequestSize 102400

   DocumentRoot /path/to/example/public
   <Directory '/path/to/example/public'>
     Options FollowSymLinks
     AllowOverride None
     Order allow,deny
     Allow from all

   ProxyPass / balancer://example_cluster/
   ProxyPassReverse / balancer://example_cluster/

   # Setup your Rewrite rules here
   RewriteEngine On

   # Rewrite index to check for static
   RewriteRule ^/$ /index.html [QSA]

   # Send all requests that are not found as existing files to the
   RewriteRule ^/(.*)$ balancer://example_cluster%{REQUEST_URI}

   # Deflate
   AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE text/html text/plain text/xml text/
css application/x-javascript

   # Error logs
   ErrorLog /path/to/example/log/apache_error_log
   CustomLog /path/to/example/log/apache_access_log combined