[Mongrel] compress and max upload size?

Xavier Noria fxn at hashref.com
Thu Dec 7 13:03:44 EST 2006

I am using mongrel_cluster with mod_proxy_balancer and would like to
enable compression (assuming it improves throughtput) and limit file
size upload. I configured mod_deflate and LimitRequestSize in Apache,
but in my trials looks like the proxied calls bypass those directives
(the conf goes below).

Is there a way to get this?

-- fxn

# Adapt this .example locally, as usual.
#
# To be included in the main httpd.conf with a line at the bottom
like this
#
# Include /path/to/example/conf/httpd.conf

NameVirtualHost *:80

# Configure the balancer to dispatch to the Mongrel cluster.
<Proxy balancer://example_cluster>
   BalancerMember http://127.0.0.1:3001
   BalancerMember http://127.0.0.1:3002
   BalancerMember http://127.0.0.1:3003
</Proxy>

# Setup the VirtualHost for your Rails application
<VirtualHost *:80>
   ServerAdmin admin at example.com
   ServerName  www.example.com
   ServerAlias localhost

   LimitRequestSize 102400

   DocumentRoot /path/to/example/public
   <Directory '/path/to/example/public'>
     Options FollowSymLinks
     AllowOverride None
     Order allow,deny
     Allow from all
   </Directory>

   ProxyPass / balancer://example_cluster/
   ProxyPassReverse / balancer://example_cluster/

   # Setup your Rewrite rules here
   RewriteEngine On

   # Rewrite index to check for static
   RewriteRule ^/$ /index.html [QSA]

   # Send all requests that are not found as existing files to the
cluster
   RewriteCond %{DOCUMENT_ROOT}/%{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
   RewriteRule ^/(.*)$ balancer://example_cluster%{REQUEST_URI}
[P,QSA,L]

   # Deflate
   AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE text/html text/plain text/xml text/
css application/x-javascript

   # Error logs
   ErrorLog /path/to/example/log/apache_error_log
   CustomLog /path/to/example/log/apache_access_log combined
</VirtualHost>