[Mongrel] [SURVEY] MIME types questions for Mongrel 1.0 RC1

David Heinemeier Hansson david at loudthinking.com
Thu Dec 7 10:26:25 EST 2006

>>> So, let's put this to the test:
>>>
>>> 1) Should Mongrel support a larger set of default mime types?
>>
>> I'm strongly in favor of this. Especially for core defaults like xml,
>> atom, and rss. It would mean that Rails page caching would Just Work
>> even for these common caching types.
>
> Could you explain this? Mongrel is very unlikely to serve cached
> pages.
> That's usually handled by apache/lighty. I ran into this the other day
> and had to adjust my apache rewrite rules to look for cached .xml
> files
> rather than just .html files.

There are plenty of situations where the load requirements do not
dictate involving another web server. It'd be nice if Mongrel was
feature-wise capable of standing on its own. Mongrel is still capable
of serving hundreds of static files per second on most machines.
That's plenty for a large array of applications, including
predominately internal ones.
--
David Heinemeier Hansson