[Mongrel] [SURVEY] MIME types questions for Mongrel 1.0 RC1

Wayne E. Seguin wayneeseguin at gmail.com
Thu Dec 7 09:30:50 EST 2006

On Dec 06, 2006, at 17:19 , Zed A. Shaw wrote:
> 1) Should Mongrel support a larger set of default mime types?

Absolutely.

> 2) What should those defaults be?  Post a YAML file somewhere so I
> can compare the various answers.

After reading through the previous posts from last night,
My list matches Ezra's at http://pastie.caboo.se/26234

> 3) What should be the default mime type if a file doesn't match?

application/octet-stream

> 3a) Where do you get this default?

Default for Lighttpd

> 4) Would anyone object to Mongrel moving the default mime type list
> into a YAML file in the source tree that it loads?  **You'd still
> be able to override like normal.**

Sounds like a great idea, this also would allow for people to
override the defaults for an entire server (shared hosting
environments).

> 5) If your favorite web server does it a particular way, do you
> actually think this is the real standard or just what that web
> server does?

Apache is pretty much the best "standard" to follow in this area I
believe.

> 5a) Do you think this default could be improved on depending on the
> situation?  Think development vs. production deployments.

This would be useful in my opinion.

	~Wayne