[Mongrel] [SURVEY] MIME types questions for Mongrel 1.0 RC1

Luis Lavena luislavena at gmail.com
Thu Dec 7 06:46:03 EST 2006

On 12/6/06, Zed A. Shaw <zedshaw at zedshaw.com> wrote:
> 1) Should Mongrel support a larger set of default mime types?

Yes, I agree with Nick Seiger on extend it using WEBrick default mime
types which are similar to those Ezra pointed.

Regarding Rails caching (DHH), still don't get it... Shouldn't Mongrel
also serve the cached query even if his extension differ from .html?
or that should be done by the Parent webserver?

> 2) What should those defaults be?  Post a YAML file somewhere so I can compare the various answers.

WEBrick default mime types looks fine. the nginx types just add a few
definitions for octet-stream, like deb packages, iso and msi
installers, including executables. So guess that will fallback into
the "default" mime type for unknown elements.

> 3) What should be the default mime type if a file doesn't match?

> 3a) Where do you get this default?

Most of the webservers fall back to that. Some bizarre ones defaults
to text/plain but guess that is not suitable (what if the unknown type
is actually a binary file).

> 4) Would anyone object to Mongrel moving the default mime type list into a YAML file in the source tree that it loads?  **You'd still be able to override like normal.**

Guess that will be more maintainable, right? not hard coded into the
code but loadable.

Adding mime types (using my one mime.conf file) should ADD
functionality and could override the defaults, but not remove them
(something to check when doing merge!)

> 5) If your favorite web server does it a particular way, do you actually think this is the real standard or just what that web server does?
> 5a) Do you think this default could be improved on depending on the situation?  Think development vs. production deployments.

I do similar things like Nick (set the default to text/plain in
development) for debugging purposes.

Support the minimal set, and let the user (us) add the specific mime
requirements instead of maintaining we-own-all-the-mimes-in-the-world
approach (apache?)

> Being the most vocal or ranting will get your votes discounted.  Keep it rational and support it with external evidence, not rhetoric.  People can go round in circles forever over something this idiotically simple.

Excuse the bits of rhetoric comments in this message :-)

> I'm indifferent BTW, just annoyed at more work on mime types so I'd like to put it to rest once and for all and make whatever seems to be the most popular as the mongrel policy.

I like your approach of "policy", when you draw the line, you stick to it ;-)

> Finally, if nobody has an opinion then I'll just leave it as-is in order to get Mongrel 1.0 RC1 out.

Excellent!, thought about mswin32 builds put on the pre release gem repository?

> Thanks for your time.

Thanks to you Zed,

Luis Lavena
Multimedia systems