[Mongrel] [SURVEY] MIME types questions for Mongrel 1.0 RC1

Zed A. Shaw zedshaw at zedshaw.com
Wed Dec 6 17:19:54 EST 2006

I need people to answer a survey super quick for the next little release of Mongrel.  Basically, nobody ever agrees on mime types, especially defaults, which is why Mongrel has none and you set your own.  Sometimes people just refuse to set their own and want Mongrel to do everything for them, but if that happens then people will complain about the defaults.

Damned if I do, damned if I don't.

So, let's put this to the test:

1) Should Mongrel support a larger set of default mime types?
2) What should those defaults be?  Post a YAML file somewhere so I can compare the various answers.
3) What should be the default mime type if a file doesn't match?
3a) Where do you get this default?
4) Would anyone object to Mongrel moving the default mime type list into a YAML file in the source tree that it loads?  **You'd still be able to override like normal.**
5) If your favorite web server does it a particular way, do you actually think this is the real standard or just what that web server does?
5a) Do you think this default could be improved on depending on the situation?  Think development vs. production deployments.

Being the most vocal or ranting will get your votes discounted.  Keep it rational and support it with external evidence, not rhetoric.  People can go round in circles forever over something this idiotically simple.

I'm indifferent BTW, just annoyed at more work on mime types so I'd like to put it to rest once and for all and make whatever seems to be the most popular as the mongrel policy.

Finally, if nobody has an opinion then I'll just leave it as-is in order to get Mongrel 1.0 RC1 out.

Thanks for your time.

http://www.zedshaw.com/
http://mongrel.rubyforge.org/