[Mongrel] Debugging high CPU with Mongrel

Dallas DeVries dallas.devries at gmail.com
Wed Dec 6 16:56:02 EST 2006

I'm running a site that gets ~30k to 40k page hits per day.  In the last 4
days my mongrel processes have been jumping into high CPU usage a couple of
times a day to the point where my site becomes unresponsive (database on a
diff machine with no load).  The only way for me to resolve the problem and
reduce load on the machine is to delete my rails cache directory (I have
plenty of space and I'm not hitting any filesystem limit in terms of # of
files and directories).  I initially thought it was the DOS vulnerability
posted a couple of days ago but I upgraded to ruby 1.8.5p2 with mongrel
0.3.18 and we are still experiencing the same problem multiple times a day.

Is there some way to debug where in our application/rails/mongrel the cpu is
getting spiked from?  I'm just not sure how to proceed further in debugging
this.

Pen
Mongrel 0.3.18 ( 5 running )
ruby 1.8.5p2