[Mongrel] shared hosting for an ISP

Kirk Haines wyhaines at gmail.com
Wed Dec 6 13:02:09 EST 2006

On 12/6/06, Brandon Keepers <bkeepers at gmail.com> wrote:
> A hosting company has contacted me and is interested in providing
> Ruby on Rails hosting for their customers.  They provide both
> dedicated and shared hosting.  I know there are a lot of shared hosts
> that support Rails, but most of them (that I've seen) are using
> mod_fastcgi, or a similar setup.  I'm curious what people think about
> accomplishing this with mongrel with Apache 2.2.

I do this with Mongrel.  Not rails hosting, but so long as the shared
host is prepared for the Rails resource usage, using Rails wouldn't be
any different than what I do.

I have no problems at all running things in this way, but I do have
total control of the server, so I can plan and control port usage
myself, too, which makes it easier.

I have found that using Mongrel in a shared hosting environment is my
simplest option for deploying new sites and applications.

Kirk Haines