[Mongrel] stability

Zed A. Shaw zedshaw at zedshaw.com
Fri Dec 1 14:55:38 EST 2006

On Fri, 01 Dec 2006 09:05:50 +0100
Jeroen Houben <jeroen at supercool.nl> wrote:

> Zed A. Shaw wrote:
> > On Thu, 30 Nov 2006 22:07:51 +0100
> > Jeroen Houben <jeroen at supercool.nl> wrote:

> I use Ruby's built-in  IO functions to fetch some external RSS and do
> some file caching. Would you consider this a hazard? I had a Rails site
> that had gone 500 when it couldn't connect to  the external feed. This
> was due to a lack of error checking on my behalf. The weird thing was
> that other Rails sites on the same box also stopped responding. I know
> this is a vague problem description, I'll try and get to the logs and
> see if I can spot anything.

It can be a problem if the source of the RSS is unreliable, like off the network, or if you're doing DNS queries against a flaky DNS server.  Ruby's interpreter actually stops completely during most DNS queries so if you are using say net/http to connect to a flaky web site you could block the whole show.

I'm not sure why all your ruby processes went down, but you should try to replicate it and figure out what is the cause.

http://www.zedshaw.com/
http://mongrel.rubyforge.org/