[Mongrel] Sharing Mongrel Log Files on SAN Storage

Zed A. Shaw zedshaw at zedshaw.com
Fri Dec 1 00:59:35 EST 2006

On Thu, 30 Nov 2006 21:14:41 -0600
"Joey Geiger" <jgeiger at gmail.com> wrote:

> Are you suggesting that you have a separate mongrel.8001.log,
> mongrel.8002.log like the pids files or is there a way to somehow log
> like production-8001.log, production-8002.log through a mongrel
> setting?
>
> Having separate log files for the mongrel.log seems like overkill to
> me, since when my app is running, it's not generating very many
> entries there...
>
> If you can create rails production logs named with the pid, could
> someone point me in a direction on how to set that up? Thanks.

It varies for different people.  The norm is that Mongrel is very quiet except when it needs to tell you about how it's configured and when things are going bad.  In most situations people can safely ignore the mongrel logs and be happy.

When things start going bad though you'll run into situations where you can't isolate which mongrel instance is doing it.  In one configuration I actually configured the log files to be:  mongrel-hostname-port.log for each instance, and the PID files as mongrel-hostname-port.pid.  This was a customer server so changing it was cake, but you can accomplish the same thing with options.

So, for most folks one log file is enough.  For the paranoid and the broken creating separate logs per mongrel is necessary.

http://www.zedshaw.com/
http://mongrel.rubyforge.org/