[Mongrel] stability

Zed A. Shaw zedshaw at zedshaw.com
Fri Dec 1 00:53:20 EST 2006

On Thu, 30 Nov 2006 22:07:51 +0100
Jeroen Houben <jeroen at supercool.nl> wrote:

> Hi,
> Are there any recommendations as to what is currently the most stable
> setup is for mongrel & apache? I read somewhere (probably here) that you
> should avoid using PStore for sessions. Are there  any more of such
> recommendations? Also, what is currently the safest version of mongrel
> to use in production?

General warning is using any external libraries that require sharing OS level resources (files, sockets, shmem, file locks) should be avoided or very strictly tested and controlled.  Additionally, if you *must* use these put them into a separate DRb server and make it the single control point for the resources.

Also, try to avoid RMagick processing inside rails.  People love their file_column, but RMagick is a fat nasty pig that cripples many sites without warning.  The optimal setup is use something like BackgrounDRb or a plain DRb server and use a batch processing method.

That's the main warnings right now.