[Mongrel] Rails Deployment Book

Zed Shaw zedshaw at zedshaw.com
Thu Aug 31 18:17:06 EDT 2006

On Thu, 2006-08-31 at 15:44 +0100, Dave Murphy wrote:
> I've been mulling over an idea for a book covering Ruby on Rails
> application deployment. Obvious topics include using Mongrel by itself
> and with Apache/Lighttpd, load balancers, memcached, and Capistrano.

Ezra's already got a book coming out on that topic and I'm supposed to
be helping with a tiny one for just Mongrel tweaking.  This duplication
of course hasn't stopped publishers from flooding the market with the
exact same books anyway, so feel free to pitch your idea to one of
them. :-)

I do have some alternative suggestions though, based on what I think
people need next:

* Rails Security -- Just a book on the common web app security issues
but focused on Rails, with a good section on auditing that we can make
rails-core read.

* Teaching Rails -- A "train the trainers" book, probably really small
for people who are experienced in Rails and Ruby but must now teach a
bunch of noobs.  I will only buy this book if David A. Black writes it.

* Database Design for Rails -- A basic theory book in ER design and how
Rails does it, geared toward the mass of people who cowboy their
databases with migrations until everything mostly works.

* Search In Rails -- Small book on search using Hyper Estraier, Ferret,
and other search frameworks and how to integrate with Rails easily.

* The Other Frameworks -- Bad name, but basically Camping, Nitro, Wee,
and IOWA.  Heavy on their design and Ruby, less on using them.

* The Tao of Modern System Management -- I am so sick and tired of lame
system administrators who do not automate their management tasks and act
as troll gatekeepers making it impossible for me to do my job.  I'd love
nothing more than a book and a bunch of software that puts a good 90% of
these idiots out of work.  It happened to developers with recent process
improvement movements, it's high time something similar happened to
system administrators.  Theme of this book would be "if you manually ssh
into any machine YOU'RE FIRED!"

* The Te of Performance Measurement -- I guess I have to write this one,
but basically a book on modern statistically based performance
measurement techniques from the perspective of Statistical Quality

* Rails on Win32 -- Windows is so painful for Rails, maybe a little PDF
book would help.

That should get people talking.

Zed A. Shaw