[Mongrel] Setup with Apache 2.2 proxy balancer : timeout during uploads

Zed Shaw zedshaw at zedshaw.com
Thu Aug 31 17:58:40 EDT 2006

On Thu, 2006-08-31 at 15:12 +0200, Philippe Jayet wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> > I'm not quite sure to fully understand how a request is handled by this
> > setup, particularly at which step the full request may be cached and
> > passed by to Mongrel and/or Rails fully, without waiting for the client
> > to finish his upload.
>
> Concerning this point, I'm not sure of the following: does Mongrel
> receive the full request before passing it to Rails ?

Yes, Mongrel processes the full request, including uploaded body before
calling rails (and locking it).  If the request is large then it also
streams the result to a tmpfile in order to not use up ram.

The response Rails generates is placed into an internal buffer and then
when Rails is done Mongrel unlocks rails and spends the rest of it's
time sending back the response.  This is necessary so that Rails can be
locked for the shortest amount of time.

--
Zed A. Shaw
http://www.zedshaw.com/