[Mongrel] Apache & SSL - Redirects going to http:// not https://

Bryan Thompson bryan at galisys.com
Thu Aug 31 00:00:11 EDT 2006

Hi guys,

I have a (hopefully) quick question about ssl and mongrel.  We are
using Apache2 and the proxy balancer module to control a pack of
mongrels.  This is a brand new setup, as our server had been using
Apache 1.3 with no mongrels at all. The speed boost has been great,
and we are not getting any of the previous errors that were caused by
FastCGI.  I am having a strange problem nonetheless.

At seemingly random times, redirect_to tags are sending the user to
http:// instead of https://, and since :80 is shut off, they are
seeing ugly errors.  In my development.log I see the normal lines I
used to see when my process finished, but it's clearly redirecting
to :80.

> SQL (0.000165)   COMMIT
> Redirected to http://********.edu/install/editSettings

That should definitely be https, and when I put the s in manually, it
works fine.  Is there some mongrel (or apache) config property I need
that I don't have?

This post looks relevant (http://rubyforge.org/pipermail/mongrel-
users/2006-May/000185.html), so I'm going to play with it a little
bit.  If anyone has any suggestions, I greatly appreciate it.