[Mongrel] Setup with Apache 2.2 proxy balancer : timeout during uploads

Philip Hallstrom mongrel at philip.pjkh.com
Tue Aug 29 16:12:47 EDT 2006

On Tue, 29 Aug 2006, Philippe Jayet wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I encounter timeout errors during file uploads in my Rails application.
> I think the problem may be in the Mongrel configuration. Here is my setup:
>
> * Load balancer (Cisco CSM, my provider's Catalyst 6509)
> * Apache 2.2.3 with mod_proxy_balancer
> * Mongrel 0.3.13.3
> * Rails 1.1.6
> * Ruby 1.8.4
> * MySQL 5.0.22
> * file_column
>
> I host an application in which users may upload medium files (around
> 2-5MB each) using an AJAX form POST, one large file at a time. Some
> users succeed to upload, others do not. There seem to be no relation
> between the failing users and their browsers.

We have almost the same setup... different load balancer (fortinet) and
not at rails 1.1.6 (patched though) and not using file_column...

I've tested uploads with 80mb files (audio shows). Takes awhile, but
never had a timeout.

I've done this with both lighty/fastcgi and apache/mongrel...

anyway, not sure that helps or not :/