[Mongrel] Setup with Apache 2.2 proxy balancer : timeout during uploads

Rick Olson technoweenie at gmail.com
Tue Aug 29 16:04:51 EDT 2006

On 8/29/06, Philippe Jayet <hip at lan-attack.ch> wrote:
> Hi all,
> I encounter timeout errors during file uploads in my Rails application.
> I think the problem may be in the Mongrel configuration. Here is my setup:
> * Load balancer (Cisco CSM, my provider's Catalyst 6509)
> * Apache 2.2.3 with mod_proxy_balancer
> * Mongrel
> * Rails 1.1.6
> * Ruby 1.8.4
> * MySQL 5.0.22
> * file_column

I've started seeing this too recently.  I upgraded to the latest
mongrel prerelease and still had an issue this morning.  The
uploaded files are usually at least 20MB when this happens.  Here's my

Apache 2 with mod_proxy_balancer
Edge Rails
Ruby 1.8.4

It doesn't seem to be rails itself.  The production logs show nothing
peculiar.  I've turned on debug logging to see if it happens again.

Rick Olson