[Mongrel] [ANN] Mongrel 0.3.13.4 Pre-Release -- Ruby's LEAK Fixed (Death To Mutex!)

Bob Hutchison hutch at recursive.ca
Sat Aug 26 10:22:10 EDT 2006

On Aug 26, 2006, at 5:12 AM, ara.t.howard at noaa.gov wrote:

> in any case, i'd carefully examine your tests (or the rails code if
> that is
> indeed what it's modeled after) to make sure that they test
> Mutex/Sync/Thread/Ruby and not your os virtual memory system and
> look closely
> at the results again - like i said, i have had issues with sync.rb.
>
> the point here is that it is probably the code in question and not
> Mutex per
> se that was causing your process to grow in vmsize.

I ran your test on OS/X looking at VSZ and RSS. And, like you,
initially got Sync with no leak visible, and mutex with what looks
like a bad leak. However, I notice that you only called GC once. I
have a years old habit of always running GC at least three times when
I really wanted GC to run (and in Java I had a loop that ran GC until
it stopped freeing stuff which in some cases was eight or nine
times). Superstition? Apparently not. On OS X, when I run GC three
times neither sync nor mutex show a memory leak.

Zed, just for fun, try running GC a few times in a row (like
GC.start; GC.start; GC.start) .

Cheers,
Bob

----