[Mongrel] running multiple mongrels from same application root - is it safe?

linux user fanoflinux at gmail.com
Fri Aug 25 19:48:09 EDT 2006

> On Fri, 2006-08-25 at 14:43 -0500, linux user wrote:
> > Hi All
> >
> > I was wondering if I run  multiple mongrels from same application root
> > (one physical path) on the same machine is it safe as far as logging
> > is concerned.
> >
> > I mean won't there be race conditions or file locks and out of
> > sequence logging statements?
> After seeing you struggle with this, I suggest you use the built-in
> Rails logging facility instead of p, puts, and print.  In any of your
> actions you just do:
> logger.debug("stuff")
> And it shows up in the development.log or production.log.
> The mongrel.log is really only for major catastrophe and reporting bugs
> to me.
> Otherwise, yes they'll be reasonably maintained but no promises.

I agree with not using print,. puts and p

But what I am trying to understand and missing are

1. If I run multipe mongrels pointing to the same application root
i.e. same folder on one and
only one machine. Is it possible to have logging out of sequence i.e. first
request logged in after second request or worse file locks and deadlocks.

2. On Win2K Sp4 atleas there is no mongrel.log that is ever created. So no
chance of ever catching a catastrophic failure log