[Mongrel] really a GemPlugin/mongrel_cluster question

Zed Shaw zedshaw at zedshaw.com
Fri Aug 25 19:42:16 EDT 2006

On Fri, 2006-08-25 at 15:08 -0700, Asa Hopkins wrote:
> Hi folks,
>

> I'd like to run the Mongrel prerelease (0.3.13.4 prerelease) and
> mongrel_cluster 0.2.1 on my shared host (which doesn't want to install
> prerelease software for all to use).  I can install the gems in my own
> directory, and run mongrel 0.3.13.4 with --prefix just fine.  However,
> I think due to the GemPlugin structure, even my new mongrel_rails
> loads up mongrel_cluster 0.2.0, which doesn't support --prefix.  If I
> try telling rubygems to ignore the other installed gems (in the main
> gem structure), it loses track of itself (gem environment fails, for
> example).

I vaguely remember that you can change where rubygems "lives" with
environment variables.

But, if you've got shell access and can build stuff yourself, why not
just build your own complete kit?  Grab the ruby source and configure it
to install into your home directory then change your PATH in
your .bashrc (or whatever shell you want).  Then, you can install
anything you want independently.

--
Zed A. Shaw
http://www.zedshaw.com/